Friday, June 24, 2016

G(reat) C(ardboard) R(ocks) L(ike) Nothing Else

Aloha, everybody, 

Have you ever had one of those posts that you start, and restart, and then restart yet again? You're reading one of those now. 

It doesn't have anything to do with writer's block, or not being inspired. It's nothing like that. In fact, I'm plenty inspired by the cards that I'll be showing off here. It's things outside of our hobby that are zooming around my brain and distracting me from the clarity that cardboard brings.

That's why I'm writing tonight. I'm seeking that which our hobby (almost) always delivers - serenity, order, enjoyment, and escape. So let's get to it. 

In the previous post, I showed off the cards that GCRL Jim sent to me, that chipped away at my vintage Dodgers wish lists. Tonight, we'll check out the modern cardboard that rounded out the goodies.


I'm a sucker for the "baseball" texture that they add to these Ovation sets, but this Raul Mondesi card leaves me wanting more. By more, I'm thinking, a photo that doesn't make Raul look like he's stepping into a mystery hole, and he's frustrated because he can't bring his bat along with him.

 This red-haired chia pet is one of the hottest Dodgers right now. He was in a horrendous slump through the first two months of the season, but he's been gangbusters for the past couple of weeks. So it was a real treat to get this one. 


A few posts back, I wrote a post about the legendary Duke of Flatbush. I showed off some of my favorite cards from the Duke, and then along came this baby. This one just joined that stack of faves. Who can resist those baby Dodger blue eyes? 


 If there's one thing I'm pretty sure Jim has, and I don't - it's a whole lotta Steve Garvey cards. This one mentions Garvey and the 1981 WS. So long ago the Dodgers used to semi-regularly be in the Fall Classic, and it sure doesn't look like they'll make it this year either. 

Here we go. A beautiful tribute card to Number 42, with a bonus lurking skipper, Walter Alston.


Believe it or not, these are my first American Pie cards. A very nice surprise. 


This group of four comes from the Greats of the Game set. I've got a few more of these in the Dodgers shoebox. It's time to put them all together and see where I stand on completion of the Dodgers. 

Here's another Raaaaaauuuuuuuuuul card with Mondesi blasting another monster home run. He's a member of the Power Players, but I'm not so sure how powerful that chalk art background is. Powerful backdrops or not, Raul Mondesi cardboard is always awesome. 

 I've been picking up these Cooperstown Collection cards here and there, and Jim dropped a great new addition on me here. 

Finally - the man. Mr. Koufax, on a tribute card that's right up my alley...


This card commemorates the 1965 World Series win over the Minnesota Twins. The series went seven games. Koufax pitched two shutouts and struck out ten to win Game 7.

These are all great additions to my collection. Thanks again, Jim. It's time for me to start putting together a pile for you, my friend. 

Aloha! 






 

2 comments:

  1. you're right - i do have a bunch of garvey cards! thanks for the trade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure "a bunch" is an understatement, lol.
      You're probably the King of Garvey Collectors.
      Thanks for the awesome package, and for chipping away at my wishlists!

      Delete