Monday, July 25, 2016

You Might Have Missed This One

Aloha, everybody,

As you know, Mike Piazza and Ken Griffey Jr. were inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame this past weekend. Sure, that was a big deal, and I would have loved to be there, but living far from Cooperstown, there was just no way I could hope to attend the ceremonies. 

As baseball luck would have it, the weekend before that, I had the opportunity to attend a slightly different induction. Legendary Dodger Don Newcombe, legendary athlete Bo Jackson, and some sportswriter were being inducted into the Shrine of The Eternals. 


 My plan was to get a scoop for my LA DodgersReport website and catch Newk for an LADR exclusive interview. Like I said, that was the plan. Things didn't exactly work out that way, but I did walk away with a story. 

It turned out the sportswriter was the legendary Arnold Hano. You may know him from such writing exploits as his book A Day in the Bleachers, which immortalized The Catch, made by Willie Mays. 


 Spoiler Alert: I never did get that Newcombe interview, but nevertheless, it was an auspicious baseball day, that I did not see coming. You can check that story out here

I'll get ya next time, Newk!

 

Aloha!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment