Sunday, March 26, 2017

When Never Again Becomes Just Once More

Aloha, everybody, 

You may recall I was bit by the repack bug within seconds after dropping off the goods for Operation Cardboard Rain. 


I couldn't resist the lure of a hit in every four boxes (I've had some luck with that before), so I took a shot. Here's how I did...


This box came with an unopened pack of 1991 Upper Deck. I haven't opened one of these since the early 90's, so I felt nostalgic as I tore the foil pack open. I once again had the feeling of hope for the only real insert from the Nolan Ryan series. I tore open many a pack trying to complete that set. 

I hadn't written a post for Nacho Grande's Blogger Bat Around on difficult sets to complete because I don't consider myself a set collector. I figured I had nothing along those lines to write about. However, chasing those Upper Deck insert sets back in the day (Ryan, Aaron, Williams) are about as close to that chase as I ever came. 

I didn't pull a Ryan or a Ken Griffey Jr., but I did catch a Dodger...


A cheater...


And one of my favorite pulls overall from the box...


Speaking of pulls from the box, here are the only other cards worthy of note...

Game faced Stewart, who I have no doubt still wears the same face when he's negotiating deals for his players as an agent...


A Rookie Card...


A former Dodger hero turned jinxed manager...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Another Dodger...


A card featuring Ron Cey's doppelganger...


Yet another Dodger. 

Mariano's posture might suggest he's pulling back from a bunt attempt, but this was his usual batting stance, which explains his  "all defense, no offense" career...


I'm glad to catch a few Dodgers after my last repack was chock full of Astros. 

This card was a a surprise...


Speaking of surprises, a nice catch of Cy Young. He's on a dopey game card, but I'll take it...


Team USA is all the rage these days, so why not...


So I had a one in four chance of pulling a hit from my repack. I've had modest luck before. Would my lucky streak continue? 


Ta-Dah!  Young Solarte is still in the hunt to make it all the way up to the show, so there's some nice potential here. 

It's not a Cy Young auto, but it'll do. 

Aloha!




14 comments:

  1. Just opened one of these 10 mins ago. They were on sale for $3.99 so I snagged one. I actually pulled a few cool cards and TWO autos in mine, although neither as good as the Solarte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two autos! I haven't hit one of those yet.
      Yeah, I was pretty happy with Solarte in a repack :)

      Delete
  2. Solarte has been a decent big league player for the past three years - lost his wife at some point during the 2016 season.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wife-of-padres-infielder-yangervis-solarte-dies-after-battle-with-cancer-161120253.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know why I thought he's still in the minors.
      That's terrible about his wife, though.

      Delete
  3. Funny kind of luck you have there! Thanks for the surprise package of cards! Very thoughtful of you to include me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Glad they got there safe. It had been a while since I sent something to you.

      Delete
  4. That's a nice Hinch USA card! I'll have to scoop one up and get him to sign it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to scoop one up, I've done it for you.
      I'll be happy to send it out to you :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on pulling a real life current major leaguer in one of those boxes. That is tough to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Solarte! As one of the better current Padres, he's a guy I kinda collect. So if you don't have other plans for it, maybe you could set it aside for our next trade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought of opening repacked boxes as such an emotional ride. You paint a vivid picture and made out better than I ever have in such a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. These repacks are fun for me. Sometimes they're even more fun than opening the new products out there.

      Delete