Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Dodgers are World Series Bound, so Let's See World Series Cardboard

Aloha, everybody, 

I'm sure you've all heard by now: The Dodgers are in the Fall Classic! The 29-year drought is over. The red, white and blue bunting will once again adorn Chavez Ravine, and the best team I've ever seen don the Dodgers uniform, is going to do battle with whomever wins that ALCS Game 7 tonight. 

The Dodgers have a long history of battling the Yankees in the WS, so I wouldn't mind one more chance to beat them. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The Dodgers' opponents might well be the Astros. 

While we're waiting for that outcome, let's check out some Dodgers World Series cards from my humble collection. Most of these are tribute cards from modern issues, but I've got some cool original vintage cards coming up as well. 

(Some of you may have seen some of these before, please indulge me. I'm quite excited to show these off one more time.) Here we go, in more or less chronological order...

In 1920, the Dodgers (also known as the Robins at the time) won the pennant, but they were defeated in the WS by the Cleveland Indians.



1941- Leo the Lip Durocher leads the Dodgers to win the pennant for the first time since 1920. The Yankees spoiled the Dodgers happiness and beat Brooklyn in five games. 




One more card from the '41 series. This is the first of my vintage cards. These Nu-Card Baseball Scoops come from 1961...



Here's the first of two beautiful die-cuts I received in trade. This first one harks back to the 1947 WS. The Dodgers lost to the Yanks again. This time it took seven games. 


BTW - 1947 was Jackie Robinson's first World Series. 



Two years later, it was Dodgers v Yanks yet again. Different year, same results. Yanks in five. (more vintage cardboard, from 1968)


Fast forward to 1952. This time the Yanks were defending three straight championships. The Dodgers lost the series in five. 




Here's the second of those pennant die-cuts. In the 1953 WS, the Yankees were now four-time champs, and the Dodgers were trying once again to take that world's championship for themselves. No dice. 





 Here's a great action shot from the '53 series. It features Campy tagging out Billy Martin to end Game 4. Alas, the Bums lost to NY again. This time, in six games. 


Stay tuned, because next time: The Dodgers finally get over the hump and win their first World Series. 

Aloha! 

6 comments:

  1. The starting lineup card is really neat. I can't imagine how hard it was to root for "Dem bums" all those years. Oh wait, yes I can. I'm a Red Sox fan! I know all about losing to the evil empire, which is why I'm all in for LA this series.

    Please beat the Yankees Please beat the Yankees Please beat the Yankees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that starting lineup is also one of my faves.
      We won't get a chance to beat the Yankees in the fall classic this time, but as I said on twitter, it was almost as fun watching their boat sink ten yards from shore. Hehehe

      Delete
  2. Because the Yankees aren't involved anymore, I'm okay with rooting for the Dodgers. Pummel them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It's nice that you were able to take a break from the Twitter and grace everyone on the lowly blogisphere with your presence :) #WheresOscar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - No way is the blogosphere lowly in my mind. It's still my first love for collecting. But you're right, I do tend to hang out in twitter much more than here. I think it's because it's a lot easier for me to bang out 140 characters than it is to wrote 500 words. Still, it's nice that someone noticed I haven't been around much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete