Saturday, March 17, 2018

Speaking of What I Collect

Aloha, everybody, 

If you saw my previous post, "What I Collect", you know I collect Mickey Mantle and a few subsets. Today I'm going to show you a mash up of these two chases, and a recent leap forward in that pursuit. 

When I first got into collecting (circa 1991), I spotted this fantastic Mickey Mantle subset. These cards were inserts in 1992 Pinnacle. I really dug that Pinnacle issue, so I ripped plenty of packs. I got a good start on this 30-card set through my own pulls and picking up strays from dealers tables. 


Eventually, the packs and strays dried up, and my chase stalled. Did I say, "Stalled"? It stopped dead in its tracks - for years.

On my last trip to the card show I came across a few more of these Mantles. I couldn't believe it! The dealer wanted an overpriced 75 cents for each, but I jumped! 





The set covers Mantle from his childhood through his career and retirement. 


Here's what the rear of the cards look like...


I couldn't believe I was able to find a few more of these and inch toward completion! 


Are these Mantles magnificent or what? 


As I mentioned, it's a 30-card set, and with these pickups I'm just over 50% towards completion. 

I still need a good chunk of 'em. Cards needed: 2, 3, 4, 6, 12,  13, 17, 18, 23, 24, 26, 28 and 30. Looks like my chase will go on about as long as Mantle's career. 

Aloha!

6 comments:

  1. These are nice cards. I thought I had purchased a fair amount of 1992 Pinnacle but I don't remember these. Maybe I just wasn't lucky enough to pull one. Good luck finishing the set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! that makes me feel even more lucky that I pulled the amount I did.

      Delete
  2. You got into collecting just as I got out. I've never seen these cards before but they are truly terrific. The one showing the progression of his swing particularly caught my eye. Thank you so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That batting sequence is one of my faves too.

      Delete
  3. this is the Mantle I love to see on cardboard - having fun, looking healthy. I'd forgotten about these Pinnacles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great set. Hope I spot more before too long.

      Delete