Monday, August 11, 2014

This Dodgers-Giants Connection Almost Made My Head Explode

Aloha everybody,

I learned something today while watching the Dodgers and Braves game. 

Dodgers broadcaster Charlie Steiner dropped a piece of Clayton Kershaw trivia that I never before knew.


 See that number on Kid K's back? Number 22.  

Most hard-core Dodger fans know Kershaw's number without being shown a baseball card, but how many people know the connection between that 22 on his back and the hated Giants?

He wears it because of this man...


That's right. Kershaw wears the same number worn by Will Clark, because Clark was his favorite player growing up. That's gotta partially explain why Kershaw is a pretty good hitter.

Ordinarily I would have dropped my drink upon hearing the best player on the Dodgers wears his number to honor a hated Giant, but in a deep rivalry that sometimes goes beyond the lines of sports and crosses into tragedy, I was pleased to know the Dodgers and Giants have this positive connection. 

Besides, I can't fault Kershaw for choosing to honor the man who was my favorite player on that team of rivals as well.

At least, I can thank the Big Dodger in the Sky that being a pitcher, Kershaw didn't choose to wear this guy's number..




4 comments:

  1. I wrote about this once:

    http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2011/08/youre-forgiven-clayton.html

    My consolation is that he was a fan of Clark's when Clark was a Ranger because Kershaw is a Texas boy. I know that spoils the whole Dodgers-Giants zen thing, but it makes me feel better anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted, N.O.
      You wrote that post just a few weeks before I hit the blogosphere scene.
      You scooped me on that one, but enlightened me as well.

      Delete
  2. Cool story. It was hard not to like Clark no matter where he played.

    ReplyDelete