Monday, February 2, 2015

An Open Letter To MLB Commissioner Manfred (And A Bit More)

Aloha readers and trade partners,

How about that Super Bowl? What a game and what a finish. I'm glad to not be a Seahawks fan today. 

It seems my old adage for baseball remains true no matter what the sport: When two teams are evenly matched, it all comes down to the coaching. Seattle play-callers blew that one big time. Ouch! 

My choice for the best Super Bowl ad was seeing Machete as Marcia and Steve Buscemi as Jan Brady. Genius! I laughed out loud on that one.  

"An eye for an eye. That's what dad always says."

 Well, football is over and now I can get back to focusing on my favorite sport - baseball. 

As the title above suggests, I wrote an an open letter to the new baseball commissioner, titled: 

Commissioner Manfred, You Don't Have To Destroy Baseball To Save It.  

I wrote the piece for the website Lasorda's Lair, so I won't republish the entire article here. However, I do wish you would give it a read, as it's not a Dodger-centric piece, and I think all baseball fans have a stake in the crazy ways the commissioner seems to be willing to experiment with the game. 

In the name of hype and hoping to entice you to follow this link to the article, here is a teaser excerpt:
 (Thanks in advance for dropping by and giving it a read) 

"An open letter to new Baseball Commissioner Manfred,

We can all appreciate that every new man in a big position wants to look action-oriented and intends to make his mark in his own way. You’re now the tenth man to sit in that big Commissioner’s chair, and that number ten holds some weight.

Of course, we who love the game know the significance of the tenth man in baseball.  Oh, he’s not a world-class athlete at the ready in center field, but still he’s very much a part of the game. That’s a little bit like a commissioner, wouldn’t you agree?

I read your letter to us, Commissioner Manfred.  I love your commitment to supporting home-grown athletes, and I particularly appreciate your focus on youth league baseball in urban, underserved areas. As a kid who grew up playing baseball on concrete, but loved the game so much I never noticed the lack of grass, that one hits close to home.

That said, I’ve got to speak my mind and let you know although I agree with many of your main visions for MLB, I’ve heard about a couple of new ideas coming down the pike that I thoroughly disagree with...."

**************************************************
 That's the teaser. I hope you'll click here and give the rest of the article a read! 

Aloha!  







2 comments:

  1. Nice article. I agree with opposing a ban on shifts, it's never a bad thing for teams to implement smart strategies in order to win.

    Although I don't see them cutting down on advertisement time. The bottom line with any sport that's not soccer/non-American football is that the games revolve around the commercials, not the other way around.

    As for the pace of the game, I've always believed that it's important to make people feel like a game is short than actually force the game itself to. I mean it's very possible that a 2 hour game can feel like a 6 hour snorefest.
    The key is getting offense up again. I like seeing pitchers dominate but watching starters throwing three hitters in 7-8 innings does not make for exciting TV. I say they make steroids legal. I'd rather see players of today (who have access to so much information and have some of the best physical attributes than any other generation) push the envelope and accomplish what people in the past couldn't with added help. After all it won't be cheating if it's allowed ;).

    ReplyDelete