Monday, February 22, 2016

How to Destroy Wishlists - Part Two

Aloha, everybody, 

In my last post I showed off the utter carpet bombing that Tony from Off Hiatus Baseball Cards laid upon my cardboard wishlists.  

1958 Topps Boss and Power - Nuff said.
 See that cardboard work of art there? That was the totally unexpected, atomic-powered, surprise that Tony dropped in my package along with everything else. 

Lots of times I would have held the blockbuster card until later in the post, but this one is just too good on several levels. 

First of all, Jedi Master and eagle-eye, Jeff from 2x3 Heroes immediately spotted it and mentioned it in the comments for Part One. Jeff got me to thinking it's simply too good a card to hold off on until later. 

Something I figure the Supertraders will be focused on is the latest, limited edition, autographed on card, hits that are out there. Nothing wrong with that. I dig that stuff too. 

But a hefty portion of my collecting heart loves vintage. Needs vintage. I gotta have that vintage. 

I've seen and coveted that Boss and Power card since my earliest days of crawling the card shows; it's price always a bit out of reach (or overvalued, IMO). 

And then Tony dropped that elusive, vintage, white whale into my package as an extra. KA-BLAMMO! I won't forget it, and I'm going to make it a point to do just like that in future packages for others whenever I can. 

I know, that was a lot of words for one card, but vintage Dodgers are always worth it. Here are some other favorites from that package...


Night Owl recently showed off a spittoon-full of chaw chewin' ballplayers. It appears Mr. Weiss has a jawful himself. Or early mumps? He also appears to be sporting the same ridiculous eyeglass frames I wore in high school. 

Come on, who don't like cards of Tommy laying down the law?  
 

 Boomer's big swing...

No logo? No problem. Murray's no-nonsense mustache is the logo here...
 


I never even knew this card of future World Series hero, Mickey Hatcher existed. He looks like a young Danny Aiello here. This was a very cool surprise. 
 

A beautiful card of Scioscia in action. Note the "Yeager-protector" dangling off the mask. All catchers wore that following a near-tragic accident when a broken, jagged bat slashed Boomer Yeager's throat. 

How about a card featuring two heroes from the 1981 World Series? 
 


Tony's Wantlist Crushing Machine also attacked PC Ron Cey wishlists...



"Oscar Gamble who?"
  
More excellent surprises in the form of Fernando cards...


Three years after the World Series and Pedro was still tearing it up...
 

 Thanks again for that wonderful package, Tony. My collection just took a big step forward. 

Aloha!

6 comments:

  1. Did you notice that, as an added bonus, I threw in the 1982 Topps Traded Dodgers? They're the ones with the nice red back, like that Steve Sax that was on top of your stack in the past post.

    I've had that Dodgers Boss & Power card since at least the 1970s. I'm pretty sure it came in a pack that my mom or one of my aunts or uncles opened in the late 1950s.

    All in all, I'm glad that you really liked the cards I sent to you. I was just trying to make sure that I sent you enough cards to induce you to trade your Brewers to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did notice. They simply slipped my mind after I separated the above favorites and scanned them. I'm glad you mentioned those Topps Tradeds here so they can get their own much deserved shout out. Thanks!

      Wow about the Boss and Power card! I'm honored you would pass that card on to me. And I'm glad my Robin Yount card went to such a great collector and friend.



      Delete
  2. Tony is one of the best. Glad you guys had such a good trade. Looks like he bombed your mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great package from Tony. I'll have to take a look at those lists

    ReplyDelete