Saturday, January 21, 2017

My Cards Are Marching Toward Their Collecting Goal

Aloha, everybody, 

I received a PWE from Jon, the proprietor of the brilliantly named blog,  "A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts". Jon sent some cards to help me along with my "Perfect Game Project" and he chipped away at my Dodgers team sets chase also. 

I don't want to lead off my post with hated Giants, so let's start off with a couple of Dodgers that I needed for the 1970 Topps team set. Here's the skipper, Walter Alston...


You can see The Quiet Man didn't spend as much time at the clubhouse buffet as Tommy Lasorda, his successor. 


Thanks for chipping those guys off my wantlist, Jon. 

OK, on to the 2012 perfect game battery of Matt Cain and Buster Posey...

    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!



Cain on flagship 2012 Topps, Posey on the Topps Chrome release...


Jon also sent along the ultimate perfect game card for King Felix, from one of the two perfect games thrown in 2012...


Now I need his battery-mate, John Jaso. Anybody out there got one?

I'm including a shot of Jon's cardboard box packing because it was the first time I'd received cards packed like this, and I want you all to see this option. 


It was a simple box cut to fold in half and protect the cards. Lightweight and easy to fit in a PWE, it was an easy and free packing solution.  

Back to the cards...


This is a nice little card from Sportsflix. When tilted you get a background of baseball threads or the wood grain of a bat. In this scan you can see both. 

Last up is a shot of the stamps Jon chose. Lots of guys use baseball stamps, but this is the first time I got one from Los Angeles Lakers legend, Wilt the Stilt...



I'm wondering if those penguins are a nod to Ron Cey? 

THANKS for helping with my chases Jon. I'll be putting something in the mail for you in around a week's time. 

Aloha! 

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to see they arrived safely. As for the packaging, if it's more than 1 or 2 cards being sent via PWE, I always use the folded cardboard method. It has always seemed to work pretty well for me.

    P.S. Thanks for exposing my terrible handwriting to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That method sure kept my new cards safe!
      About the handwriting...sorry if you didn't want that shown, but I thought it looked pretty good, compared to the chicken scratching I call printing.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete