Sunday, February 26, 2017

A Mini-Zapping? This Was Nothing of the Sort

Aloha, everybody, 

I received a package from my east coast friend and trading partner, Zippy Zappy, the proprietor of Torren Up Cards. 

ZZ included a note, as those of us who've ever received a zapping know he always does. The note called this batch of cards a "mini-zapping". There was nothing mini about this one. 



Gotta start things off with The Teenager. Reports from the Dodgers' ST camp are Urias is definitely ready to rock in 2017. He'll take the mound tomorrow for the first time. 

ZZ sends me lots of Bowman, which means lots of Dodgers prospects for little ol' me. 

Here's the one who got away. 



The Dodgers traded JDL for Logan Forsythe, our new second baseman. It was a "win now and gamble away the future" move. I wanted De Leon to be a Dodger...I'm still a fan of his, no matter the team. 

More prospects! 



Here's Jerry Hairston, who now is on the TV broadcast squad for the Dodgers. It's hard to find a bigger homer than Junior...


ZZ knows I'm a big fan of Kenta Maeda, so he zapped me good with some Maeda-san cards from his days with the Hiroshima Carp. 


Awesome! 


This Genesis card is the Bomb! 


In case you've never seen the back of a Japanese baseball card...


ZZ knows exactly what is going to make my collector's eyes open wide. Brooklyn Dodgers...yup. 


A bad ass Eric Gagne card that's new for my collection...yup.


Speaking of knowing how to make my eyes open, ZZ dropped a handful of these on me....


I love American baseball, but one thing we sorely lack, and the Japanese win on - is they've got cheerleaders. 


I suppose I shouldn't call them cheerleaders. The cards clearly state they're Dancing Heroines. Yup, that'll work. 

The Osaka Hanshin Tigers are my favorite Japanese team, so ZZ knocked it out of the park with these lovely cards filled with lovely Dancing Heroines. 



Wanna see a couple more? 



In case you've never seen what the back of a Dancing Heroine card looks like...


Fresh-faced, cute and wholesome. Best of all, she likes the Tigers. Just like a gal you can bring home to meet mom. 

Yes, those cards opened my eyes, but ZZ wasn't done. He dropped a card on me that I've been wanting for quite a while. 

It appeared in 2013 Topps Archives, and while most folks (who cared about such things) were clamoring for the Beatles card... I secretly coveted this one... 


Now it's mine!  THANKS, ZZ for all the great cardboard. 

A mini-zapping? No way. This one rocked! 

Aloha! 

6 comments:

  1. I pulled that Stones insert in Japan almost four years ago. When I reunited with it this past winter I figure I'd pass it onto you with the expectation that it'd be your fifth or sixth copy. How I ended up sending you your first I'll never know 0.o.

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed the Zapping. The Tigers pitcher I'm looking forward to the most is Fujinami (who is possibly behind Ohtani in terms of NPB pitchers with MLB potential) hopefully he makes great strides forward this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept buying packs of Heritage but never made that pull. Thanks for sending one out to me!

      Delete
  2. That was a lot to gamble on Logan Forsyth. Hope he has a big year for you guys. I guess you guys were dealing from a strength since you have 47 starting pitchers!

    As always great stuff from Zippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True we have plenty of young pitching, but I hated to see JDL go. On the other hand, if the Dodgers were going to step it up into World Series mode, a new second baseman was definitely needed.

      Delete
  3. Ha, I ended up with that Stones card a while ago (btw, it's from Heritage, not Archives), and yeah, I assumed you already had it or I would have sent it to you. In fact, I believe I posted about it and said "let me know if you need this one, OM" ..so I guess you must've missed reading my blog that day.. Don't let it happen again! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I sure missed out on that one. My blogroll reading did go down over the past few months, but I assure you, when I do read, yours is one of the ones on my list.

      Delete