Monday, February 6, 2017

It's Babe Ruth's Birthday! Let's Open Some Babe Ruth Cards

Aloha, everybody, 

It's the Bambino's birthday today. There's no better way for me to celebrate the Sultan of Swat's big day than opening a few packs from The Babe Ruth Collection. 


I've been hitting the weekly card show lately (I have one more report to show you all, coming up soon), and the last time I was there, at the show, I spied a dealer selling off boxes of this Babe Ruth product. 

I couldn't find any info about it, so I'm going by what I can see on the box. These were produced in 1992 by Megacards. They resemble the Conlon Collection cards in style and substance, with old-time photos on the front, and extended stories on the backs. 

Each pack contains 10 cards and the box is stuffed with 48 packs, so I'm going to have quite a few Babe Ruth cards by the time I'm done ripping! I'm hoping to complete the 165-card set, but I'll have a whole lotta dupes, so if anybody out there is interested in some, drop me a line or mention it in the comments below. 

The set doesn't have any inserts to chase - which is a drag - but the cards are chock full of rarely seen photos and long-forgotten tales of the Bambino. That's good enough for me! 

Let's take a look at some of the cards I pulled from the first two packs I opened. 


The Commissioner of Baseball, Judge Mountain Landis, forbade players from World Series teams to do any barnstorming in the 1921-22 offseason. 

Ruth ignored the order and played with the traveling teams. As a result, he was suspended for the start of the 1922 campaign. 


Look, the Babe's just like you and me, hanging out at home with the little woman. 

Now here's a great photo...


This next card celebrates Ruth, pitching for the Red Sox in the 1916 World Series against the Dodgers, and his 14-inning complete game victory. 

In that game, Ruth gave up an inside the park home run. He never surrendered another, and thus began his record 29 2/3 innings  WS scoreless streak. 

Did you know the Babe was a great base stealer? He led the Yanks in steals for three seasons. 


How about this photo...



The Babe played in the first All-Star game. Although he was older and chubbier than most of the other players, Ruth swatted the first home run in AS history, leading the AL to a 4-2 victory. 

He also made a running catch in the outfield to snuff out the last rally and hope for the National Leaguers. 

Badass!  



The Babe as a Red Socker...



Ruth tore up the 1928 World Series. He had 10 hits, 9 runs, 2 doubles, and 3 homers. 


Oh yeah, this other guy named Gherig played for the Yankees too. 

Aloha! 

2 comments:

  1. I would love to build the set so would be interested in any dupes you pull. Great looking cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to fool around with sortable stats on Fangraphs. Truly amazing how all his numbers still hold up over all these years.

    ReplyDelete