Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Every Day Is Jackie Robinson Day In Baseball

Hey everybody,

As we all know, MLB celebrated ol' number 42 yesterday.  I had a post idea ready to go, but I figured I would post after last night's Dodgers - Giants game.  As L.A. and S.F. fans know, the game went on until just around midnight. Don't ask who won.

Suffice to say, I went to bed and never posted last night.  Today I thought this post would make me late by one day, but then I realized our acknowledgement of Jackie's amazing feat of climbing the highest mountain created by man should not be restricted to only one day.  The discrimination Jackie had to endure, even within his own team, and his ability to succeed beyond anyone's expectations, except perhaps those of himself and Mrs. Robinson, should rate at least a week's worth of honor and recognition.

So in my bid for a Jackie Robinson Week, I present today's post which features my favorite piece of Robinson memorabilia.  I humbly present my ceramic Jackie stealing home:




These were a Dodger Stadium giveaway back in 2005.  Very cool!  The figure is roughly 10 inches long and Jackie's head sits about 5 inches high.

"Outta my way, Yogi!"


Finally, I'm going to leave you all with a bit about Jackie the way only the venerable Vin Scully can spin it.  It's a true story that perhaps inspired the tradition of all ballplayers wearing number 42 on Jackie's day.  It's a story from one of the darkest and perhaps most frightening days Robinson (and his Dodger teammates) had to endure while playing in Cincinnati.

Well, I couldn't DL the audio into blogger, so here's the link.  The story takes less than two minutes, and I assure you they're two minutes well spent.



THANKS for everything, Jackie!

No comments:

Post a Comment