Sunday, December 27, 2015

Cardboard Santa Brought Me The Best Zippy-Zap Ever!


Aloha, everybody, 

Whew! What a Christmas, am i right? I've got just a few days to lose all of my new Christmas weight before the New Year's feasts begin. 

Before Christmas hit, Cardmas hit me even harder with one of the greatest packages to ever arrive at ATBATT HQ. Zippy Zappy from Torren' Up Cards/Cervin Up Cards zip-zapped me - and it was a doozy! 

Enough about me; let's get to the cards. Leading off are a couple of Topps highlights cards honoring Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers.



 Here are current Dodgers Clayton Kershaw and Joc Pederson in action. Pederson is up first with a great shot of him coming out of the box, bat in hand..






I love Kershaw's ASG face here, but that 70's trucker hat is the worst. 

ZZ likes to include several zaps of minor leaguers in his packages, which is perfect for a collector like me. I'm the kind of guy who almost never rips packs of minor league/rookie class product, so gifts like these are always welcome in my collection. 

 I'm digging that Inland Empire 66ers shield. I've never seen these cards before. Martin pitches for the Phillies organization now. 

Young Corey Seager burst onto The Show at the tail end of 2015. He set a Dodgers rookie record by reaching base safely in his first 16 starts, and was the Dodgers' starting SS in the NLDS. I'm looking for him to be there on Opening Day 2016.


 Here's Corey playing for Team USA...





I love this shot of 2014 first-rounder Holmes with a Dodgers jersey, a tie, and some kind of draft board in some kind of studio, with a live-feed cameraman hovering behind him. This card accurately captures the artificiality of the entire affair. 


You know ZZ likes to toss in vintage, and this time was no exception. This zip-zap was gonna hit all the cylinders...

Willie Crawford is a sentimental-favorite Dodger for me...



Believe it or not, Mr. Hunt is my first 1968 Dodger. I believe I've just been handed a mandate. 

A package with just those cards (and the others I didn't scan this time) would have been a very nice Cardmas surprise, but good ol' ZZ stepped into the Extreme-Cardmas Zone with this one. 

A bit more context would be appropriate right about here. 

Back when I posted up my Ultimate Nine baseball cards, I mentioned that this 1933 Goudey was the oldest card in my collection...


ZZ said this in the comments about that post...
"No knock on the Goudey but I don't like that it's the oldest. Let's change that shall we..." 

I knew what the statement implied, but I never dreamed that someone whom I've never even met in person would be so generous as to make a statement like that come true. 

Well folks, there is a Cardmas Claus, and his name is Zippy Zappy. 

Ladies and gentlemen, from the famous 1909-11 T206 white-bordered, tobacco card set, take a gander at this little piece of cardboard gemology...


 The T206 set was released over a span of three years, and Joe Dunn played for the Brooklyn Superbas in 1908 and 1909. I figure that places this card as a 1909 or '10 issue - meaning this 'ol boy predates my Goudey by a quarter of a century. And it's my first ever Superbas player card! 


 The T206 set is most renowned for being the home set of the famous Honus Wagner card, as well as HOFers Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson and Cy Young. 

Dunn was no Georgia peach, and he didn't even crack the Mendoza line (before there was one to crack) in his brief stint with Brooklyn, but he did go on to become a championship minor league manager. 

This precious - yes, precious - 106 year-old card is now in my collection simply because of the goodness of another collector. The warm and sincere generosity of our community is absolutely incredible, and like nothing I've experienced anywhere else.

When I mention generosity, I mean it in a broad sense. Some of us give time to keep the big blogs on the block running with new material for us to enjoy day after day. Others are generous with commenting on posts and corresponding as friends behind the scenes. 

Some of us are generous with contests and opening packs every day of the season, with the intent to later give all of those cards to all of us. Some of us surprise each other with PWE's and packages "just because", or share their art creating custom cards that are later gifted out. 

Of course, our blogs would be forgotten without the silent readers out there who generously give us their time to come and read the ramblings about our hobby. 

Everyone gives in the way each can, and that's why I love hanging out in the cardsphere. It was a wonderful 2015, and I look forward to continuing the tradition into the new year. 

THANKS for everything ZZ (and shoot an email to me at your convenience. You can find my email address on my profile page). 

Aloha, everybody! 

 















 

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the package SH. Welcome to the T206 club :)!
    And I've sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to club T206. Another fine piece of vintage lovingly gifted by the great Zippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, thanks. What an amazing thing to be a part of :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice! Zippy brings the goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously brought. I was knocked for a loop when I first spied it.

      Delete
  4. Wow! It's a Christmas miracle! But really, generosity is overflowing in this package.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Club T206 is a happening place! That Zippy is a good dude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great package from Zippy. He just sent me a monster box complete with a sweet t206 as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - now it's MY turn to say "Welcome to Club T206" :)

      Delete