Thursday, July 24, 2014

Where To Get Your Collecting (And Munchies) Fill In Hawaii

 
Yes, I actually own non-blue tank tops.

 Aloha everybody. The L.A. sun is a real scorcher and the Dodgers have the day off, so I find myself longing for those Hawaiian ocean breezes and sunsets.

I previously mentioned that I was lucky enough to hang out with some folks who grew up on Oahu, so I had the extra benefit of checking out some spots that are popular with the locals. 

One of my missions was to find great macadamia nut pancakes for breakfast.  Little did I know the place they took me would open my taste buds AND my collector's eyes. 

Dis place is da kin', bruddah

Boots and Kimo's is located in Kailua, on the Windward Coast area of Oahu.  It's a small place, and I mean small - but it's very popular - and I mean popular.  

I know this is a sportscards-centric blog, but I gotta drop this one on ya. If you like macadamia nut pancakes, you gotta go there! These are the best ever, bar none! But go early, the place is small and the waiting list gets real big, real fast. 

Returning to our collecting topic, apparently the owner of the place is a collector as well.  The tiny restaurant is covered wall to wall with autographed memorabilia and Wheaties boxes.  Check it out...


I spotted a few boxes that I own myself.
 Every wall has these boxes and autograped helmets. There are autographed jerseys galore as well...




Did I mention the popularity of San Francisco here?
Actually, these Montana to Rice jerseys are pretty sweet.
 Every table in the place is adorned with an NFL logo...


And then, you go to the restroom, and you get these...



Sweet, framed, uncut sheets.  Very cool.  Unfortunately, they were hung pretty high on the wall and I couldn't get a shot that would eliminate all of the glare.

But it's not all football and baseball at Boots & Kimo's.  You want hockey? They got hockey...

 Sure there was lots of sports memorabilia - lots of helmets and jerseys, card sheets and logos...but where was something for me???

All I had to do was look up.  My table mates were not too shabby...



I had breakfast with Mr. Mantle and The Kid. 

What a great place to eat.  Aloha. 

10 comments:

  1. Uncut sheets are always awesome. Can't say I've ever seen any in a bathroom before, though. Very nice touch to what looks like a terrific restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a surprise when I first walked in, and those pancakes are the shite!
      You just may give up butter and syrup after having these.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had fun. I've never been to Hawaii before, and since I hate flying I don't see myself going there anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, brother. I used to hate flying too. Now I'm able to manage it to I hate sloppy landings and turbulence.

      If I had my druthers, every trip would be road trip close.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I also hate no free snacks on my flight :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You said it, Matt. And in Hawaii, no less. Who knew?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...posted as my Lawyer self! :-)

      Looks like a great time -- and a great restaurant!

      Delete
    2. It absolutely was a great time. I'm glad You enjoyed me sharing it.

      Delete