Saturday, August 29, 2015

JBF's Junk Becomes My Treasure

Aloha everybody,

How's summer playing out in your neighborhood? I've survived another week of the L.A. summer heat waves, as temperatures in the 100's have finally dropped back to the reasonable (?!) 90's. 

 As mentioned in my previous post, the generous JBF offered up a bunch of cards that he referred to as "junk", and I requested a couple that spoke to me. 

The first was a cool swatch of fedora from the great Karl Malden, and today I'm showing this numbered (103/125) swatch from the almost great, Jeff Kent. 

Kent was a polarizing figure when he came over to the Dodgers, and it wasn't just because he was previously a hated Giant. 


Kent wasn't a smiley, back-slapping teammate; he just went out every night and gave 100%, while expecting no less from everyone else on the squad. 

Kent hit the first of four back to back to back to back homers in the greatest Dodger game I ever attended. 

It was the end of the season, in a heat of the race for first place game against the Padres, and a memorable battle full of comebacks that the Dodgers eventually won. Nomar Garciaparra ended the game with a walk-off homer and Dodger Stadium rocked like I never saw before or since. 

I would compare that incredible Dodgers energy to what it must have felt like when Kirk Gibson hit his incredible WS homer. It was THAT wild.



Lots of L.A. fans (and some Dodgers) didn't appreciate Kent's style -  but I did, and I'm very glad to get my hands on this card. 

Of course JBF tossed a little extra into the package, and he added this wonderful vintage Brooklyn Dodgers card...



The Boys of Summer


 Speaking of Brooklyn, yesterday one of the few remaining connections between the Brooklyn and L.A. Dodgers - Vin Scully -  announced he will be returning to announce Dodger games for the 67th - yes, 67th! - season. Wow! 

I'll be happy just to see 67 years - period. 

THANKS for the great cards, JBF! Your package will go out in the mail next week.  

Aloha! 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome card.

    I hope Scully returns for two more years though. If he doesn't reach 69 years of announcing then it'll all have been for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That TCMA card is awesome. We need more cards like that and fewer cards of guys getting dowsed with Gatorade or shaving cream.

    ReplyDelete